Friday, February 6, 2015

Grandma's Pie

I just became aware of a new website from BYU called Grandma's Pie.
http://grandmas-pie.fhtl.byu.edu/

It connects to FamilySearch Family Tree and shows a pie chart of the countries your ancestors were born in. Moving the mouse pointer over a slice will your ancestor's names who were born there. There is a slider that allows you to select the generation of ancestors you want shown.

It quickly identified one of my ancestors as being born in Saint Helena. I knew that wasn't true, So I checked in FSFT and discovered that the error originated there. "Scotland" was standardized as "Scotland, Saint Helena", an obvious error, easily corrected in FSFT. Without Grandma's Pie, I might not have spotted that error. Thanks!

A bigger problem for me was that when the country of birth is missing from FSFT, Grandma's Pie failed to use the christening information. I sent feedback suggesting that this be changed.

I enjoyed their site. I think it would be of interest to some of our patrons.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for this. It is an interesting site. I too have a relative with the Scotland, St Helena mis-location. I wonder if it is a standardization problem at FS or with the BYU Grandma's pie folks. I reported it to them by email. So we'll see what happens. Anyway, I plan to make a presentation on Gma's Pie and Relative finder for our website. So thanks again for the heads up. Please keep keeping us informed.

    ReplyDelete