- Because of the need to protect the privacy of living people, new.familysearch.org is great for deceased relatives, but not for living relatives. Genealogy software is excellent for keeping track of the living as well as the dead.
- Software does a much better job of keeping track of notes and sources of information.
- Software allows you to create electric and printed versions of books and charts for displaying data.
- Software can have photos, documents, sound tracks and videos linked to individuals.
- Software can often generate personal websites.
- Software can display a list of possible data problems. (e.g. child is born to mother aged 3)
|Personal Ancestral File (PAF) is a free genealogy and family history program from FamilySearch. PAF allows you to quickly and easily collect, organize and share your family history and genealogy information. http://www.familysearch.org/eng/default.asp?page=home/welcome/simplePAFRegistration.asp|
Ancestral Quest Basics is FREE family tree software which allows users to sync with New FamilySearch, yet looks and feels like an upgrade to PAF 5. “AQ Basics provides all the essential features of Ancestral Quest, ... the perfect program with which to get started, or with which to replace PAF. AQ Basics is PAF Add-in certified, which means you can directly work with your PAF data. It includes everything you need to sync your data with and import family lines from New FamilySearch and reserve and track temple ordinances.” http://www.ancquest.com/AQBasicsFS.htm
A totally different kind of free genealogy program does none of these things, but has just one function, to download a basic family tree from new.familysearch.org as a PAF data file. It does not download temple ordinance information. Get My Ancestors http://www.ohanasoftware.com/?sec=GetMyAncestors